As a new parent you will quickly learn the benefits of swaddling, the main one being it helps soothe and comfort your baby. But today we wanted to share five of the biggest benefits of swaddling with you.
Understand the benefits of swaddling your baby.
- Swaddling comforts your baby. As a baby transitions to a new world, it is startled to find bright lights, loud noises, and chilly breezes. Swaddling imitates the security they find in the womb by helping them feel snug and protected.
- Swaddling helps control your baby’s startle reflex. Babies are used to being in the small space of your womb and have very limited wiggle room. By placing your baby’s arms close to their body, they feel secure and are less likely to wake themselves when their natural startle reflex kicks in.
- Swaddling imitates a parent’s touch. A perfect swaddle completely surrounds your baby and helps them to feel safe. This is why a stretchy swaddle blanket is essential because it allows you to secure a baby and keep them snug, while also allowing them to stretch and move their precious body.
- Swaddling helps your baby to sleep longer and more soundly. Research has shown that swaddled infants startle less and sleep longer. Feeling secure and limiting the startle reflex is essential to a more restful night's sleep for your baby and for you.
- Helps your baby to learn safe sleep practices. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends all babies sleep on a firm surface on their back. A strong swaddle will help your baby to sleep comfortably and promote safe sleep.
For more swaddling tips and tutorials click here.